Friday, January 9, 2009

I am uncool, and I can prove it!



I am so tired of trying to pretend that I am, indeed cool. I am a dork, through and through, and I think for 2009 I am going to embrace that fact and celebrate it.

I am always so impressed by those people who know obscure bands. Those that can wear skinny black jeans and pierce their noses. I look ridiculous in skinny jeans, (and who decided to call them that anyway?) they make me look like a bow-legged shrimp and I swear they employ the opposite of skinny to my thighs. Oh and I had my nose pierced once but because I am a weenie, took it out before my dad saw it- so hardcore.

So, the veil comes down and here it is:

I am a farm girl at heart. I like country music. I grew up watching musicals. I sometimes watch old Disney cartoons on Friday nights, and I watch the entire Shrek Trilogy religiously.

I know, dorky.

I just discovered Kings of Leon which I thought was a metal band originally. Can we say, late bloomer? And I get scared if any music sounds "garage band-ish", I prefer girls singing about the sky and their feelings.

Although I do own all of Nirvana's albums I can only accredit that to my Seattle upbringing, which in turn, may be the coolest thing about me.

While I like hip shows like Weeds and Six Feet Under, I would take a marathon of Property Virgins over either any day.

I don't own designer clothes and if I did they wouldn't look right on me. I have tried those Seven jeans on and I don't know if its my hips or my soul's aversion to cool, but they don't work on me. Muffin top central.

I like ruffles.

I like going to sleep early, being in bed at 9:30pm with a good book, is not short of bliss.

I think that the Shopaholic series is a good read, and I can't get through a classic for the life of me. I blame the farm.

I like to dress up- even at casual occasions.

I wear Converse only because they were on sale at TJ Maxx.

I don't have any tattoos, although I have been in the chair a few times and chickened out. One tattoo artist in Venice Beach told me that if I had a tattoo as small as I was asking for it would turn into a mole in a few years and turned me away.

My first kiss was behind the snack shack at Bible Camp to a chubby kid named Jesse.

I am slow at getting jokes.

I laugh at my own.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Despite what the crazy kids on your side of town are wearing these days ('hipster chic'), I completely appreciate watching people at 3 Crow for their unique sense of style. I love that they wear nerdy glasses, funky hats, vests, and Chucks, and don't care what anyone thinks of their clothing choices. I like that Nashville has so much individuality that it's "cool to be geeky."
You're not the only nerdy one. I mean, why do you think we're doing dinner and a movie at your house tonight?! We could always go clubbing ;)

Anonymous said...

I am slow at getting jokes.

I constantly laugh at my own.

My first kiss was with a boy named Josh, in a spin the bottle game and he had just eaten Doritos.

I buy most of my clothes at TJ Maxx, Old Navy and Target.

I remember more about the Twilight and Harry Potter series, that I read ages ago, than I do about any of the 12 pages I read of Mere Christianity last night. That's sad.

I suck royally at math.

Being a dork is very cool. It just means that you are being yourself. That is one of those things that people just don't do anymore.

Way to be you.