Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Yesterday morning when I was coming into work, I was upbeat, borderline chipper actually.

Listening to my inspirational music while pulling into the parking garage (Kathleen Edwards, "Another Song Radio Won't Like" is a favorite), I was humming, reflecting, dreaming...all of those things that occupy my mind when I should be focusing on using my blinker and coming to a complete stop at a 4-way.

Grabbing my backpack, my purse, my lunch, my water bottle, my cup of coffee, my hat, my books, my Bible, my scarf, my phone and my mittens (with a hole in the right thumb) I was loaded down and clumsily toppled my way over to the elevators- feeling very much like an overdecorated Christmas tree.

Waiting in the cold for the slow elevator, I found myself staring at the trash can in utter absentmindedness. Amidst the pile of cups, discarded fast food bags, and other debris- I couldn't help but notice a cardboard box sticking out around the edge. On the box there was a particular word displayed.

While I am sure that there were words printed on the box other than the only one I could read- I couldn't see any others. The only word that was visible was "husband".

At first I looked around and wondered if I was the only one that was in on this cosmic joke. Here is an overflowing trash can and the only piece of garbage that is visible is a box that is labeled "husband"? It was like a Seinfeld episode.

At first, I began rummaging through my purse trying to get out my phone so that I could take a picture of the poetic garbage pile. As I finally got it out and had it poised to snap, I noticed that there were four other people surrounding me and I didn't want to be the weirdo taking pictures of trash.

After I became more aware of myself, I put the phone away and instead held the image in my mind and began thinking about why it affected me. And realized maybe it wasn't really that funny after all.

A friend of mine recently left her husband.

He hasn't heard from her in a week.

She has thrown him away.

I spent an evening with him the other night- and I wonder if one of the most sad things in the entire world to witness is a heart in the middle of breaking?

While this husband in the garbage thing doesn't apply to us all, I do wonder how many times have I just thrown away an opportunity, a friend, a job, a song, a painting, my self-esteem...

While it was just a glimpse- that husband box in the garbage, it was so thought provoking that I wanted to pose a thought:

What are you on the verge of throwing away that might just be worth more than you think?

1 comment:

hootenannie said...

Wow.

Thank you.

This is... very timely.