Thursday, February 26, 2009

Contentedness and the Lost Little Urbanite


Today I am content.

Let me say that again.

Today I am content.

This is a strange place for my mind to be. Sadly. And it is invigorating!

I have decided that I am lucky. I have a job. My husband has a job. (yippee, skippy!) I have a cat that I obsess over. I have great friends. I have love. I have a home I adore and love to nest. I have been provided for in so many ways. I am loved in spite of my imperfections. I live in a city that I have always dreamed of living in.

I just got back from a longer than planned trip outside, to deliver a package that my boss gave me. Heading in the direction I thought he had instructed me to, I was alone with my thoughts, just trying to get another thing done in my work day.

In moments like these, the ones where I am getting from here to there, I usually run an endless commentary about all the stuff in my life I want to change and how to go about that. Today as I was alone with my thoughts circling Church St and wondering how in the world I can get lost in a three block radius, I searched for that little black box of complaints that usually pops up in my mind so that I could sort through it.

It wasn't there.

Instead, there was a little empty space of nothing. A little quilt of happy blanketed my brain. It felt good.

The warm wind was whipping across my face, and I decided that it was great to be alive. My life isn't some amazing epic, but it's full of some great short stories.

Even thought I am content- I am still devastatingly directionally challenged. It took my 15 minutes to literally walk half a block.

But hey, you can't have it all.

I don't mind being lost as long as I get where I am going eventually, and that's why it's a-ok to be a little long on the getting there and a little short on the direct route.

By the way the package finally got delivered, and I burned some extra calories on my unexpected urban excursion.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Image Courtesy of LC Photography

1 comment: