Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Where Are You Christmas?


Tradition is something that I think is lost on us "kids", as my Gramps would say, but that doesn't mean that fruit cakes (how gross), caroling and midnight mass are the only ways to properly employ the tradition of Christmas.

For instance, I have a few holiday traditions of my own.

1. Watch Jim Carey as the Grinch, much to the chagrin of my husband, and appropriately laugh at all of the overly acted parts that force comedic timing down my throat (better obvious than smart I always say).
2. Wear Christmas sweaters and drink too much rum and eggnog while decorating the tree somehow not realizing until the last ornament has been hung, that I hate eggnog and that spiced rum reminds me of rubbing alcohol and cinnamon.
3. Consistently, without fail, buying my husband Christmas presents that are ill-fitting. Shirts that are too big, shoes that are too small, boxers that have extra large waistbands and hats that pinch his temples. (He has the biggest noggin, I swear they don't even make hats that big- not my fault.)
4. Wrapping presents in a flurry and then forgetting to tag them, which forces me to unwrap and re-wrap them time and time again- I know...it's so un-green.
5. Bringing the gift that I want to end up with to Christmas exchanges, and then pretending that I didn't bring it- thickly pouring on the excitement when I do, in fact, clench my own gift. (Not leaving with the gift I brought? That is a risk I am willing to take.)
6. Crying at least once on Christmas day- due to the appalling, "I can't believe she just said that" familial stresses OR overarching, unbridled, I am so brimming with happy tears- (this is dependent upon geographical happenstance, welcome to marriage and split Christmases.)
7. Fielding calls from drunk exes who like to stir up drama around the holidays. Hint: If you're ex-girlfriend is married DON'T call to wish her Merry Christmas, she is probably having a very merry time without you.
8. Praying a real, "I am going to take time out for you God" prayer. And reveling in the blessing that is life.
9. Stealing away in the middle of the day to take a luxurious, fully clothed 2pm Christmas nap. There is nothing more enjoyable than a quiet snooze in the middle of all of the hubbub.
10. Getting worked out like a maniac by my husband's body-builder dad and his personal trainer wife- hence hobbling around for days afterwords having to agree with their constant commentary, "Yes, that was a GREAT workout! 6 am spinning tomorrow? Wouldn't miss it!" Crap.
11. Kissing and hugging my husband until he has to remind me that we are in the company of others, who cares? PDA is the new PM Dawn.
12. Lastly, getting forced to sing Christmas carols in the company of strangers, since I am the girl who lives in Nashville and has a CD- so naturally, of course, I want to lead everyone in "Little Drummer Boy". Meh.

Merry Christmas to all, and have a very happy, safe holiday!

xoxo,
M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your husband and my brother should get together and start a "Big Hats for Huge Noggins" company.

My brother's noggin is quite large as well.