Monday, December 8, 2008

Inspirational Suffrage


It's amazing to me, how intolerant I am of empty space and silence. If there is a blank page in front of me I want to fill it. If there is no one speaking I start nervously humming. If there is a beautiful photograph or piece of art that sparks my own intercommunication- it cuts open a deeper purpose within me- and I want to stop everything and describe it, praise it, emulate it.

Perhaps what is more staggering than my obsession with creating, is my low capacity to handle long periods of inspirational suffrage. Times when the ability to sculpt story and paint vivid strings of thought don't come easily.

There are days, weeks, and yes, even months at a time when I open up my mouth to sing. No sound. Or grip a pen, with full intentions to release the welling up of discontentment and displaced opportunity inside me, only to find nothing scratched beneath the slide of my pen stroke. I blame it on my day job...."It's sucking the life out of me!", my poor husband can attest, or I will ignore the whisper inside of my head that pushes me to turn off The Office and pick up a paintbrush- missing a moment of artistic expression.

Whatever the reason, the truth can be found in the acceptance of my very own flawed and frail humanity. I will miss windows. I will make poor decisions. I will put life before passion. Who knows, maybe I missed out on my greatest artistic achievement because I went wine tasting with a friend or to see Twilight (I am a HUGE dorky fan).

 The bottom line is that while I thrive off of creating in this little corner of my world, I am still sometimes lazy, uninspired, sad, lonely, and average. All of which causes me to truly embrace the days when my mind works freely without the clicking glitch of broken elucidation.

To all of us "outside of the box" thinkers. Never stop creating- no matter if all you end up with is a blank page- because endless possibilities still lie therein.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Words are artistic inspiration as well and this entry proves it. Every word and sentence was beautiful, maybe because I relate so well, but all the same everything you wrote was like poetry. You put it in a way I could never say.

I there with you girl.