Tuesday, July 14, 2009

James Bond and the Peach Lady


If there is one thing that I have noticed about myself as a married woman, I no longer get to enjoy watching the movies I used to.

I have traded in Anne of Green Gables for Weeds. I just chalk it up to me wanting to spend time with my husband, no matter what we watch.

Yes I am a sad, married sucker.

So the other night, we were watching Quantam of Solace, the newest James Bond movie.

So to stay traditional in my relationship with Bond, I got bored and fell asleep. It may have been the lack of a plot or maybe the relaxing crash-boom-bang of it all.

Either way, before I nodded off, I became fascinated with one of the opening scenes. Bond is chasing some guy across building tops, through precarious construction sites, and falling through windows- and out of nowhere in the middle of all of this, there is a small scene with a old woman holding a box of peaches.

What struck me strange about the Peach Lady was that she was oblivious, or rather unimpressed with the man-chase taking place on the floor of her building. Instead she is just looking over her peaches, and taking inventory of which ones are good, and which ones are bad.

I feel like the Peach Lady in a James Bond movie.

I know there is an adventure out there to be had, but I am too busy sorting rotten fruit to notice.

As I watched her in the film, I was amazed, first of all that I was more interested in the old peach woman than in the fight scene, but also that it was so normal- the essence of what we all must feel like at certain points in our everyday existence.

We have become accustomed to ignoring the pulsating vein of life that is all around us. Convincing our weak hearts that a box full of anything, is better than the risk of not having it at all.

But what of the mountain views we are not experiencing, and the scents of desert sage that we are not smelling?

The people that are traveling the world, playing music, sculpting art, making movies, and trying to rise above the accepted way to make a life are considered Gypsy's, irrepressible, and weird. Nobody can live that free, right?

This leads to me to a segue about the art of observation.

But I wonder, am I rare that I live my life in a constant state of self-mirrored reality?

I check myself. I ask myself. I get mad at myself. I let myself off the hook. I put myself back on. I want to quit. I want to stay. I pray. And then I wait some more.

I do all this in search of what it is that I am doing here. I do this in search of something bigger than the peach box that I have become obsessed with looking into.

I have had a few conversations with people over the last few days that seem to be so hinged upon getting ahead, making a name for yourself, being the center of attention, being the action hero, being the loudest at the table, being the best at something nobody will ever remember you did when you stop doing it...

And then I think, am I different in the fact that I look for opportunities, or more so, crave moments when I won't be the best at something someone else can do better? When I finally fit into that mold that was made just for me and my little old purpose?

I don't care if I am successful. Not at this point in my life.

I care about living my story. And living it well.

There is a story that we are all living, unfortunately some of us are living a reference manual instead of a collection of beautiful, vibrant poetry and prose.

I am living a reference manual at the moment, but at least I am not pretending that I am living out a masterpiece.

There is one thing the Peach Lady and I do not have in common. I am well aware of the race that is happening around me.

And I can't wait until the old woman I have become gets in on the action and finally decides that life is too precious to not leap across building tops now and then.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I see you a little bit as my blog kindred spirit. I think you have a lot of them out there.... a whole bunch of people who think way too much about way too much.

Thinking that deeply during a Bond movie is a whole new level!! ;) ;)

Thank you again for an insightful post that made my lips curl up in an understanding smile.

hootenannie said...

Well, once again, you say what I can't.

Thank you for living your story, my friend. This was beautiful - and just what I needed to hear today.